The ALSITE 2016 Annual Meeting was held on Wednesday, June 8 through Friday, June 10 at The Beach Club in Gulf Shores, AL. There were around 100 registrations, including session attendees, vendor exhibits, and guests.
The meeting began with an interactive Professional Development Session entitled Building and Leading High Performing Teams.
Technical Session I included these presentations:
- Orange Beach Access Management and Modeling
- Intermodal Challenges for Alabama Ports
- Marketing Safety to Local Officials
Technical Session II included a brief demonstration of new member benefits via the ALSITE website – MyALSITE – and these presentations:
- Every Day Counts in Shelby County
- Using Highway Safety Manual Methods to Compare Access Management Countermeasures
ALSITE President Rod Turochy presented the following 2015 ALSITE Awards at the Annual Banquet:
- Jeff Stephenson – Past President Award
- Waymon Benifield – Transportation Professional of the Year
- James Brown – Transportation Engineer of the Year
Richie Beyer was not able to attend the meeting, and was awarded the ALSITE 2015 Transportation Safety Award prior to the meeting.
Two scholarships recipients were acknowledged at the meeting. Ashley McDonald was presented with the Billy Jones Memorial Traffic Engineering Scholarship. Matthew Dannemann will be presented with the Charles E. Alexander Memorial Transportation Engineering Scholarship at a later date.
New officers were elected for the 2017 calendar year as follows:
- Clark Bailey – President
- Cody Long – Vice President
- Marybeth Bergin – Secretary/Treasurer
- Daniel Driskell – Affiliate Director
- Basil Hall – Assistant Affiliate Director
Members and guests socialized at the annual Officer’s Reception and Billy Jones Memorial Golf Tournament. The Scholarship Auction was a combination silent/live auction again this year. The live auction was co-led by first time auctioneers Jim Meads and Becky White. Both auctions were successful as several thousand dollars were raised to fund future scholarships. Thirteen vendors participated in the Vendor Exhibit.
The meeting concluded on Friday with breakfast, our annual Traffic Bowl where three teams of three participants competed for bragging rights, the Annual Business Meeting, and the Billy Jones Memorial Golf Tournament. There were 26 registered participants in the golf tournament.Meeting Photos