The Joint ALSITE-DSITE 2015 Annual Meeting was held on Wednesday, June 3 through Friday, June 5, 2015 at The Beach Club in Gulf Shores, AL. There were around 140 registrations, including session attendees, vendor exhibits, and guests. (Photo Gallery)
The meeting began with an interactive Professional Development Session entitled Every Day Counts 3: Data-Driven Safety Analysis Workshop.
Technical Session I included these presentations:
- #URKEYS2DRV – Teen Driver Safety
- Crash Analysis and Public Survey for Drowsy Driving Advisory System
- Access Management at Signalized Intersections to Improve Efficiency and
Technical Session II included an ITE International Update from Hibbett Neel, and these presentations:
- Traffic and Transportation Engineering Practices from Europe
- MDOT Traffic Safety Program: Current Challenges and Opportunities
- Gulf Shores Adaptive Signal System
- Review of Data-Driven Safety Analysis Workshop
Technical Session III included these presentations:
- Fairhope’s Experiences with Complete Streets
- Mobile Complete Streets: Our Policy in Progress
- A Practical Approach to Complete Streets
A drone demonstration was also conducted on Thursday afternoon by Gabe Faggard with Mississippi DOT.
Both DSITE and ALSITE presented several awards at the Annual Banquet.
DSITE President Nicole Stewart presented the following awards:
- Bob Mabry – W. Hibbett Neel Award
- Brian Fulton – John F. Exnicios Award
- Jeff Smith and Alison Catarella-Michel – President’s Award
ALSITE President Jeff Stephenson presented the following awards:
- Marybeth Bergin – Outstanding Young Member Award
- John McCarthy – Transportation Safety Award
- Jim Stewart – Transportation Professional of the Year
- Becky Malenke – Transportation Engineer of the Year
Harold Raynor is the recipient of a Special Citation for Meritorious Service. Harold was not able to attend the meeting, and will be recognized at the ALSITE Fall Meeting.
Two scholarships recipients were acknowledged at the meeting. Elizabeth Lim will receive the Charles E. Alexander Memorial Transportation Engineering Scholarship, and Rachael Thompson will receive the Billy Jones Memorial Traffic Engineering Scholarship. The scholarship recipients were not able to attend the meeting, and will be recognized at the ALSITE Fall Meeting.
New officers were elected for the 2016 calendar year as follows:
- Rod Turochy – President
- Clark Bailey – Vice President
- Cody Long – Secretary/Treasurer
- Becky Malenke – District Representative
- Dan Vincent – Affiliate Director
- Daniel Driskell – Assistant Affiliate Director
Members and guests socialized at the annual Fast Eddie’s Shrimp Boil, Officer’s Reception, and Billy Jones Memorial Golf Tournament. The Scholarship Auction was a combination silent/live auction for the first time. The live auction was led by auctioneer Dan Turner. Both auctions were successful as several thousand dollars were raised to fund future scholarships. Eleven vendors participated in the Vendor Exhibit.
The meeting concluded with our annual Traffic Bowl where LA, MS, and AL competed for bragging rights, with the MS team coming out on top in a very close match.